Blast find themselves travelling all over the world filming with a huge variety of both cast and crew. The fantastic footage on screen would not be seen without the booking co-ordinators behind the scenes who put everything together. The high degree of difficulty of their job means the speciality expertise of Stage and Screen was exactly what is needed to ensure logistics run as smoothly as possible!
Stage and Screen Travel have been incredibly helpful in providing us with complex international flights for a range of different locations. There was always someone on hand to help us, as we often experienced difficulties at various airports."
General travel requirements:
Similar to a lot of production companies, Blast have very complex travel requirements which include frequent changes, last minute bookings, excess baggage management and budget management.
The locations for Blast productions are rarely in the same place because of the diverse range of topics covered by the company. Some productions require many people travelling at once and others could just be one/two.
The Stage and Screen/Blast Films story: “Flying To the Ends of the Earth”
“Some of the planet’s most extraordinary and spectacular experiences are only accessible by air. In this epic new series, pilot and former Royal Marine Arthur Williams will fly us into some of the remotest parts of our planet to find out how people survive and thrive in places only the plane can reach.
Arthur was paralysed in an accident seven years ago, but took up flying to rediscover his spirit of adventure. Now he’s going to brave tiny airstrips and outrageously dangerous flying conditions, all to reach the world’s most spectacular remote places.”
This introduction to the show, clearly announced this was no ordinary series. The production featured some extremely tricky logistical requirements, especially when disaster struck in Siberia and the crew were seriously affected by a helicopter crash during the shoot. Here’s how the team at Stage and Screen stepped in to help:
- Stage and Screen’s Houida Ayari comes from a background in events travel and so is our resident expert when it comes to complicated and group itineraries. Houida is usually found negotiating with both hotels and airlines to allow specific requirements and fares for our prestigious client base.
- Houida had been working on the Siberia project with Blast Films for some time, ironing out any complications and making sure that logistically, everything ran smoothly so the production co-ordinators could focus on other important aspects of the production.
- The trip was for 8 people and had changed many times in the lead up to departure so everybody was happy and excited when the team took off on their ambitious mission.
- Disaster struck when the helicopter carrying all supplies, kit etc got caught in strong winds and crashed, snapping the tailboom and rendering it useless.
- Firstly, there was huge relief that everyone was ok with no injuries, however this left the crew in the middle of Siberia with no supplies, shaken up and wanting to return home.
- This is where Stage and Screen came into their own with Houida jumping straight into action and arranging to get all of the affected crew out of Siberia on last minute bookings
- The documentary still needed to be filmed, so arrangements had to be made to bring in a different crew and the process of booking the trip started again. This time, due to the unexpected circumstances, crucial budget concerns had to be considered. Houida worked very closely with the production team to adhere to this and often not knowing the names of the travellers until the last minute, sourced and provided many changes and options.
- Normally, late name changes are usually a massive issue within the aviation industry, yet as this was vital to the successful completion of the shoot, Houida put her talent and experience to work to negate all of the obstacles and make sure what need to be done, was done.
- The production was a completed successfully with no further dramas occurring. The show has now aired and was a huge hit thanks to the hard working team at Blast and the assistance of our extremely talented expert, Houida Ayari.